If you have heard of epilators before, then you must have basic knowledge of how it works and how it differs from traditional tweezers and other hair removal methods. If so, then you have come to the right page since here we will discuss proper use of standard epilators and give you a step by step guide how to epilate. It is important that you know and follow these steps especially when you are using an epilator for the first time because it is somewhat tricky! Take the time to learn how to use one, for we don’t want any injuries to happen especially when all we ever wanted was to get ride of unwanted hair, right?
Well, first and foremost, before you start epilating, you have to gather all necessary materials. If you are yet to buy epilating materials, then you are in luck! You see, we include in this blog a list of our most favorite products for epilation. Make sure you take the time to look at each one of these (since we have a few options for each kind of product) and examine each and every one before you make a purchase! Some of these are really expensive so you have to know if you will be satisfied with the purchases!
Preparation when epilating
Choose the Best Epilator
Needless to say, the first thing you need to acquire is an epilator. You have to have the best epilator in order to have an efficient epilating procedure. There are a lot of options out there and each of them has their own offering of features and accessories! Ladies, have fun hunting down which one you prefer the most! To help you out with this, here are our top picks:
This is simply one of the most luxurious epilators out there, and we highly recommend it primarily because it truly leaves behind a clean job in getting rid of unwanted hairs anywhere on the body! The most unique and best feature of this epilator would be its efficiency cap – it works to ensure that the epilation process would be less painful than with other epilators especially when you are working on more sensitive areas of the body. It also has two speed settings – you can set it on a low speed when you are not yet used to epilating, and you can put it on the faster speed level when you have already gotten the hang of epilation even on the curves and contours of the body.
This Panasonic Wet Dry Epilator also makes the list of our top epilators because of its convenience, quality, and efficiency. My favorite thing about this epilator is how friendly it is to my ultrasensitive skin. It actually features nickel-free hypoallergenic blades. You can use this epilator both for wet and dry epilation, so anywhere will do for your epilation proceedings! And for only an hour long of charging, you can already operate this gadget for forty hours straight. Just enough time to get rid of all the unwanted hairs all over your skin surface!
The Braun Silk Epil 7 includes five amazing attachments: a shaver head, a trimmer cap, an efficiency cap, a sensitive area cap, and a facial cap – all designed to make your epilation process more efficient and comfortable for you. 40 close-grip tweezers are working all at the same time when you are using this compact epilator and while this may cause pain, at least you know that the epilator is doing its job and doing it well. I like the Smartlight technology on this one, because it simply lets us know if we miss a spot or an area where there are still some unwanted hair.
The Emjoi AP-18 Epilator is the most powerful epilator you could ever get your hands on. Just imagine 72 tweezers working simultaneously to leave you with the most flawless skin surface ever. If you think that this would be extremely painful, then you would have to know that the Emjoi has this patented glide technology, which makes the whole process less painful by hardly making you feel that a lot of hair is actually being yanked out of your skin surface. I also like how you have a choice whether to use it cordless or otherwise.
The Braun Silk Epil 3 Epilator proves to subvert the notion that all epilators inflict pain. Traditionally, it has been accepted that epilation does hurt, because it is basically pulling out hair from the skin surface multiple hairs at a time. Not only is it able to minimize the pain levels that it can induce – it even has a mechanism to make you feel like you are receiving a gentle massage whilst getting rid of unwanted hairs! This is attributed to Braun’s high frequency massage system technology – a true first and a unique quality that you will hardly see and enjoy with other epilators!
A truly luxurious epilator, this deluxe epilator features textured ceramic discs that work well with getting even the smallest and finest of body hairs. It is also very friendly even to the most sensitive of skins because all its blades are hypo-allergenic and nickel-free. Its hair-lifting technology takes care of lying hairs and makes sure you do not miss any spot on the surface you are working on. Its head is fully immiscible in water and can be thoroughly washed, so you never have to worry about the epilator being unhygienic or such. You will fall in love with the Philips Satinelle Epilator like we did.
Choose the Pre-Epilating Cream
All the talk about how painful epilation is must have scared you, and so we are recommending numbing cream at least for the first few epilation sessions you will go through. Here are our top picks for numbing cream:
One jar of pre-epilation numbing cream will provide you painless epilation for a very long time. This one penetrates deep, causing longer effectsthat may even last for one full hour. Since the cream is not based on oil, its residue can easily be removed using water and soap.
This gel works like magic – you will hardly feel that you are actually being flawless by the minute because of how powerful this numbing cream is. One tube would last you a very long time, so even if a tube is quite expensive compared to others, it will last you a very long while so it would take a lot of time before you need to buy another one.
Choose the Best After-epilation cream
Now that you are prepared for your pre-epilation and epilation process, it is now time to invest on your post-epilation. This is to lock the effects of the epilation process, so this is actually very important. Here are our top selections:
Not only does this wonderful cream relieve the pain from epilation and leaves the skin fragrant and silky smooth, but it also prevents hair from growing back easily, which means that when you use this cream, you can save yourself from a lot of painful epilation procedures since the hair need not grow back easily.
This one is a truly luxurious product that you should invest on. Not only is it a hair growth inhibitor, but it also works as a color corrector cream. When you are epilating, especially on the underarms, you would sometimes experience discolouration on the skin surface. Well, this cannot be prevented using pre-epilation creams or soaps, but it could surely be corrected with the use of this post-epilation cream. It is quite expensive, but it is worth every penny when you see the results on your sin. Have a go at it!
Step by step guide to the perfect smooth body
Now, we go to the real thing. Hopefully by now you have chosen which products you are going to use for your procedures. Now, the next thing you need to know is how to perform it. Simply follow these steps and you will never go wrong:
- If you chose an epilator that can be used for both wet and dry sessions, then the first thing you have to do is to decide whether your first time is going to be a dry or a wet one. We recommend that at least for the first few sessions, you do it while having a shower since the water can subdue the pain.
- Nothing is more annoying than running out of power on the epilator whilst in the middle of an epilation process! Make sure that if you ever get a cordless epilator, that it is fully charged before you even begin to epilate. TIP: Whenever you finish an epilation session, charge your epilator immediately so you will not have any problems to be encountered the next time you need to use the epilator.
- Do not start your first session of epilation when you are in a hurry. Make sure you have at least an hour and a half since epilation takes up more time than traditional shaving most especially if you are not yet used to it. Go slow and make sure you understand how the gadget works – we do not want any injuries! I recommend that you epilate before going to bed and never when you are heading out. You need recovery time from the pain, and you also would not want to go out looking all reddish and sore, right?
- A lot of these pre-epilation creams are designed to prepare the skin from the pain of epilation, and some even have numbing effects. Do not forget to apply a generous amount of this especially if you have low pain tolerance.
- If you chose dry epilation, make sure the skin is very dry, since the epilator would simply break the hair instead of getting rid of it completely if you use the epilator on slightly wet skin. So either you use it immersed in water, or super dry.
- Wear comfortable clothes and find a position where you are most relaxed. This will take a while, so you have to be in clothes and in a position you can sustain for a good hour and a half. You can prop your legs up on a higher surface like a chair, or you can simply sit on the floor in order to be comfortable whilst having your legs (or whichever part you are working on) accessible and reachable.
- Most epilators let you choose the speed in which you will operate your epilator. If you have one such epilator, then make sure that it is set to the lower speed setting when you first use the product. You have to take it slow so you could first get the hang of it. When you already memorize how it moves on your body, then that’s the only time you should move up its speed. If you are epilating your face why not read our guide on the best epilator for face.
- Use your dominant hand to maneuver the epilator, and then use the other one to support by pulling the skin taut for easier epilation that works closer to the skin and gets hair from the root. Be careful not to tear the skin surface and be not afraid to work slowly!
- Done and satisfied with the skin surface you worked on, apply a generous amount of post-epilation cream so you can prevent the rapid growing back of hair and also so that you could relieve the pain you got from the epilation.
Remember all these steps and follow them every time you need to epilate!